Senior Managing Partner | JFerdinand@24iplg.com
Jed Ferdinand, the firm’s founder, has more than twenty years of experience and is a leading authority in the areas of intellectual property, licensing, media, entertainment and civil litigation.
An accomplished trial attorney, Jed has litigated cases involving intellectual property and general commercial matters in federal trial and appellate courts throughout the United States and before international arbitration panels. During his career, Jed has handled a number of high-profile cases for consumer products manufacturers, brand owners, media companies and celebrities.
Representative cases include:
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of Oprah Winfrey’s magazine, “O The Oprah Magazine,” against claims of trademark infringement brought by a German publication. Brockmeyer v. Hearst Corp. and Harpo Print, 2003 U.S. Dist. Lexis 3394 (S.D.N.Y. March 7, 2003).
- Successfully defending celebrity Jessica Simpson in a case brought by her former jeans manufacturer seeking $100 million in damages arising out of an alleged breach of license agreement. Tarrant Apparel Group v. Jessica Simpson, et al., Index No. 601199/06 (N.Y.S. Supreme Court).
- Obtaining summary judgment for a Pepsi-subsidiary in a trade dress and design patent action involving competing sports bottle designs; affirmed by the Ninth Circuit. Talking Rain Beverage Company, Inc. v. South Beach Beverage Company, Inc., 349 F.3d 601 (9th Cir. 2003).
Jed’s transactional practice focuses on product licensing, merchandising and entertainment. He has handled some of the most successful licensing and merchandising programs of the past decade for celebrities and other famous brands that have resulted in billions of dollars of retail sales worldwide. He regularly negotiates and drafts product licensing and merchandising agreements with some of the largest companies in the world in the fields of fashion, consumer products and technology.
Jed also counsels clients regarding the acquisition and exploitation of intellectual property rights, with a particular emphasis on trademark and brand protection. The firm currently manages the worldwide trademark and copyright filing programs of several major consumer products companies in more than 100 countries and handles more than 1,000 trademarks worldwide.
Jed has written and lectured extensively on a wide variety of intellectual property and licensing topics. He has been a moderator and featured speaker at numerous conferences and trade shows for more than ten years, including the annual Licensing Show in Las Vegas and the American International Toy Fair in New York. He is also a member of the faculty of LIMA’s Certificate of Licensing Studies Program for licensing professionals.
Jed is a member of the Advisory Board of two IP publications – The Licensing Journal and IP Litigator. He is a monthly columnist for the publication, License India, and is a contributor to LIMA’s Bottomline newsletter and West’s Corporate Counsel Newsletter.
Jed began his career in New York with Chadbourne & Parke and he also worked at leading international firms Brobeck Phleger & Harrison and Graham & James. Most recently he was a partner with Grimes & Battersby, LLP, an intellectual property boutique located in Fairfield County, Connecticut.
Jed is admitted to practice before the following courts:
- State of New York
- State of Connecticut
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the District of Connecticut, the District of Colorado and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Ninth and Federal Circuit